Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Home Base 2

Turtle Hospitals rule!

Everyday there is a different crew of people that work at the hospital and everyday things get done slightly differently (but equally effectively). I find it best to walk in with a big smile, a “Hi! My name is (insert name here), what can I do to help you guys!?” and then things start rolling. Every group has a different dynamic and different pace. Jean, the director, encourages teams to get things done however they feel is best, so long as the work gets done effectively and in the best interest of the animals in our care. All the teams are passionate about the turtles, and while some of the team dynamics are different from day to day the take home message is the same: “We are here to help the turtles.” And all the teams are very efficient.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to work with Peggy, an experienced volunteer (?), for a second time. Since she knew that I knew the drill, I got to do some things that others normally took care of. Specifically:I GOT TO GIVE TURTLE BATHS!!!

Some of the turtles (i.e. the Kemp’s and greens) are a bit too small to scrub down with brooms, so they get taken out and wiped down. This is a highly prized job, since it is the most fun! Yesterday I got to give several turtles baths. This included the little green turtle J. B. She is feisty! You pick her up out of her tank and she starts flapping away! I have some video and you’ll be able to see her trying to crawl away while I try to wipe her down.

Today was a pretty standard morning, however this afternoon we processed about 300lbs of fish. Very exciting. Tonight I head home and begin wrapping up the GIS work I have been doing for them. That’s it for now kids!

Home Base Out!

~Andrew

No comments: